Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Pig Pen & First Base...

My DH is out of town this evening and tomorrow.  He's out catching bad guys.  Fortunately there was only one activity this evening and that was my son's baseball game, which, I'm sure if I had been paying better attention, would have been very entertaining.  The few times I looked up from the book I was trying to read, I did manage to catch my son doing several "entertaining" things.  We'll call them entertaining because I'm certain to other parents they were because they were probably chuckling and saying, "thank God that's not my son."

Don't get me wrong, I adore my son.  He is my only son here.  But sometimes I look at that boy and I think to myself- "There is NO WAY you came from me. Or your father, for that matter." 
Fortunately for me, though, I kept my nose in a book I was trying to read.  Which made me feel altogether crazy in another way because I am trying to learn more about certain saints in the Church and reading some of these books about them is enough to make me think I have the IQ of a squirrel.  Literally.

The book is called, "My Vocation is Love, St. Therese's Way to Total Trust" by Jean Lafrance.  It may as well be called, "An Intro to Astro-physics" because there is in no way any learning about St. Therese going on in my little world. 

I know what you're thinking.  Seriously, Amy.  You're at a baseball game with two of your daughters running around like mad, and your son who is at first base either shifting his cup around like it's a toy in his pants, or running around in circles stirring up so much dust he's making pig pen look clean.  Go figure-are you really going to be able to sit in that environment and "learn" anything you try to read?

Well, in my world, I say a stubborn yes. 

But it's no.  I did enjoy reading snip-its of her work and one day I will own her work myself.  But alas, the game did keep my intellect at bay.  (not that I don't have an intellect, right?)

The game was very long, very tedious, and certainly very entertaining at best.  Why is it, my son, who is probably one of the oldest on the team (most parents play their children up a league-ha-we're the opposite, we play our children down a league)is the one who is acting like the youngest?  If you didn't know he was 10 almost 11, you would think he was a third grader who definitely didn't pass a few years.  Affectionately we'll refer to him as "Binky Barnes."  You know the character on Arthur?  Yes, he's huge!  Well, my son is not huge for a fifth grader, but since he's acting like a third grader, he's huge.

The cup shift pig pen dance was just one act on the list of the highly entertaining things he did this evening.  There was also the ever presence of the three year old running around whom he kept trying to yell hi to.  I was almost tempted to go tell his coach that he has special needs.  I don't mean handicap, but sometimes I think there is something not right in his head!  Seriously-talk about ADD-  How can you have ADD playing baseball, but sit for 4 hours straight building Lego buildings, cities and other structures? 

Once he stopped trying to get his three year old sister's attention, he moved onto to bigger and better things.  Someone apparently (or so I hope) had sunflower seeds in the dugout.  Now, you know boys.  They're not just going to put some sunflower seeds in their mouth, right?  Noooooo.  Why?  Because it's much cooler and definitely a lot more fun to try and toss the sunflower seeds as high into the air as humanly possible and catch them with your mouth, that's why!  And of course, my son takes it to the inth degree, he will top everyone.  I just sat horrified as I watched this play before my eyes. 

Why watch and cheer your team on when you can act like the team clown and toss sunflower seeds by the DOZEN up in the air and try to catch them all???? Don't answer that.  It's rhetorical.

I know I might sound a tad irritated, I'm not really.  And to be honest, by the time the game was over, I completely forgot about his little antics on the ball field.  Mostly because the prayer I had been praying since before the game started was coming true.  You know the one,  "Lord, please let there be flash flooding so the game will be cancelled."  Yea, it happened just as the game ended.

Be careful what you pray for....and write those crazy things down your kids do, because one day, you'll be trying to recall what silly things they used to do to make you laugh, and you'll want to remember...

No comments:

Post a Comment