Today I crossed something off my to-do list that I didn't even realize was there. I learned how to use a drill and some other kind of electronic tool that drills the screws into the hole I drilled. You can tell how skilled I was, since I can't even remember the names of the tools I used. I was thoroughly impressed with myself, although my husband kept spouting something about stripping the screws if I didn't bare down harder, or something like that. He's so grouchy at times.
So what are we building you ask? I will tell you! We have taken on the enormous task of building a swing set, complete with rock climbing wall, slide, monkey bars and tower. And when I say playground, I mean a monstrous contraption that puts park play sets to shame. Oh yes, we're those parents this time...
Seriously, when we went to 84 Lumber to buy the set, I was slightly concerned that we needed to make sure our children would fit on the swing set. My children are huge. I mean, to give you an idea of how huge they are, my 6 year old at her physical a few months ago was the size of a 9 year old on the height chart. We noticed how tall the "tower" was, and determined that little ME who is 3, would be the only one who would be able to get up, let alone stand, in the tower.
My hubby and I decided to order two extra feet on the posts for the tower. Well, we might have thought a little too big, because I can stand comfortably in the tower now and I'm almost 6 feet tall. My hubby who is almost 6'2" could fit comfortably if he weren't afraid of tipping it over. Yea, we might have bitten off more than we can chew. So now, the tower can be used to help planes land at the Lancaster airport. It's so tall-I'm CERTAIN my neighbors will again make us the topic of dinner conversations once more.
Here is how those conversations might go:
"Well, those rednecks from the south are at it again."
"Good lord, Mildred, did you see that eyesore they're building over there?"
"My heavens, those people don't do anything small do they? 5 kids, and now a swing set contraption that an army could fit on? Seriously."
Well, that might be the mild version, I'm certain until we either downsize once our kids move out, or my hubby gets transferred again, we'll be the topic of many a dinner conversation... I'm ok with that.
The priest at my church once said most of the saints in our Church were crazy, so maybe I'm just creating saintly moments... ;)
So we have almost completed the tower. It was fun work. I am exhausted, and at 9pm we cleaned everything up, (it was still light outside! SO AWESOME!!) And my 9 year old came out and reminded me I promised to fill a million water balloons for school tomorrow.
Well, darn it. See, maybe I do things on too big a scale. I forgot all about those million water balloons. So that's what I'm putting off now. They are taunting me over by the sink as I completely avoid my motherly duty of filling them....
I'll be sure to post some pictures soon of our monstrous play set. You will be awed & amazed.... I'm sure of it. No pictures of water balloons, although since I did the same thing for my 10 year old 2 years ago, I will say you can visualize about 20 of the water balloons popping and spewing water all over me as I fill them.
Entertaining as always here...
This is what happens when kids have Amazons for parents! I hope Bay has some of those genes since at 5'6" I'm the runt of the family and she's almost there @ 13 yrs old.
ReplyDeleteI too want to learn to use those tools but my hubs isn't willing to teach me. I don't like waiting on him to do projects; he's quite slow at getting started.