| We saw a similar scene this morning! |
Today we took the kids to see an amazing part of New York. Amish Country. I must admit, it's a way of life I sure would like to indulge in, especially when I see how much technology affects people, especially my own family.
When you see an area of the country with absolutely no electricity, horse and buggy's, simple clothing (meaning far less arguments over what to wear, not to mention laundry) and farming fresh produce, you can't help but be drawn to the way of life. Driving into the community, you're met with young people, children who appeared to be my older two children's age, actively participating in the farming. They drove the horses who were plowing the fields, they were taking the horse and buggy places, and my kids seeing this was so good!
| Again, off the Internet, but we saw several scenes just like this. |
It was a fabulous witness to being an active member of your family. Each farm seemed to have a special trade, from sawmills that produced anything from kitchen cabinets, to bedroom suits, to Adirondack chairs, to the bakers who by the way, made a donut that sold for .80 cents that would put Krispy Kreme out of business, to the rug and quilt makers, the iron workers, the cheese store, the candy store (which sold fudge that was fresh from the hot pot)and the fresh eggs... Oh my.
It was such a treat to see the families! We stopped at a few places and let me tell you, if you ever get the opportunity to taste (or buy)cheese curds, dear Heavenly Father-what a treat from Heaven they are!! It's the cheese before the cheese if you will. Cheese curds are the first pieces in the process of making cheese blocks. The curds are put together and then aged and sold-but the curds look like small pieces of cheese and they are absolutely DELICIOUS! I couldn't stop eating them-which is why my sweet hubby bought me a pound of them!
The sweet lady that sold us the Delicious baked good was so quiet. Her homemade cinnamon roll PIE, was only $3.00 and I'm sure (from the nibble I stole off it) after heating it up a tad in the morning, will make a fantastic breakfast.
The candy lady was more talkative and seemed genuinely tickled that we had 6 children (one of ours brought a friend) and spoke to us about how she had to put a motor into her beater because her shoulder was hurting so badly from beating the fudge by hand. I know how frustrated I get and I don't make half of what I do from scratch, talk about taking a bite of humble pie! These people seem so happy! I really feel it's genuine. We would wave to the children out working and they would smile and wave. I almost felt as though I was intruding on their personal lives (but there is a website inviting you to see all they have to offer-I wonder how they got that together without electricity???)
My own children were so amazed by what they saw, that they came home and took a few dirty clothes outside, proceeded to "wash" them in a bucket and try to make a clothesline to hang them on. Then they put firewood in the fire pit and pretended to cook dinner while a few of them "plowed" the yard with their horse and plow.
I do try and keep a simple life here at home...but being in Amish country today, makes me want to try a little harder...no more grumbling over that next electronic device (i.e. camera!) when I can't get it...
Did you know the Amish do not let you photograph them? It's against their beliefs. So is doing any kind of work on Sundays. Again, I am amazed at their lives...and they have a very strong belief in God and they do believe Jesus Christ is the Son of God and was sent to save them. I learned a lot about this amazing group and how they cherish humility. They try to live a simple, humble, but joyful life.
This is very similar to me how religious orders in the Catholic church operate. I have always been fascinated with religious sisters and brothers and the "rules" or "ways of life" they operate their day to day lives by doing, or following. They almost seem to mimic how I found the Amish to live as well.
I so enjoyed today and can't wait to go back and get some more of those fabulous donuts. I have made a request to my wonderful hubby that a nice pie safe, or simple china cabinet would be nice as well...
| We saw two boys and a little girl this morning, too! Found this online! |
No comments:
Post a Comment